29 August 2008

Elonex ONE Support page updated

The ONE Support page at http://www.elonex.com/support/products/lnxone.shtm has improved since I last looked there in that the link to the ONE Recovery image now works: http://www.elonexsupport.com/one/onerecovery.zip and the Download Manual button connects to the correct manual: http://www.elonexone.co.uk/downloads/oneusermanual.pdf

Looking at the manual also gives hints that the software has been updated compared to the Aware laptop manual that I've been working from up to now. There's even a clue that there might be a drop-down menu to change WiFi protocol from WEP to WPA or WPA2? So, if anyone has managed to get WPA working on the ONE can you let me know?

There are also a couple of new FAQs:

Q. Why can't I view some webpages?
A. As The ONE can't view some parts of some webpages as it does not have Flash 9 (for example you can't view Youtube videos) but sometimes you can't view some content because Java or Flash are disabled in your settings.
To enable Java and Flash open the internet and click the Settings button (the spanner and screwdriver icon in the top right corner). Under Content Options change the Java and Flash options to Enabled, then press Apply. You need to close your internet browser and then reopen it for the changes to take effect.

That's good news, the ONE appears to have Flash and Java, you just need to enable them? Again I'd be grateful if someone could let me know the versions of Java and Flash on the machine.

Q. Why can't I connect to the internet?
A. To be honest if you are reading this page then you have no problems connecting to the internet (!!) but if you have a friend who has problems then please get them to call our support number (0871 90 296 90).
The ONE has experienced some problems connecting to BT Home Hub and Sky Broadband. There is a software update for this so please phone us for more information.

I don't like the answer to this question - I'm sure most ONE owners will either have their own bigger computer or know someone (teacher or parent) who has - why can't Elonex put the answer on the web instead of promoting their Premium Rate telephone number? So, if you know the answer to this question, please let me know so we can distribute the answer as widely as possible.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have just been working with my daughter's new One+ and got this onto the Internet using Sky broadband.

I had to force it to use a static address for the DNS and the machine in the System Manager. Dynamic addressing was not working for me at all.